Tuesday, September 20, 2005

To my dad

My dad, Ernest, passed away on August 23rd. He was a real, hard-core blue-collar, liberal. And a big believer in what was fair.
He always fought for the little guy because he never for a moment forget he was the little guy. When I was a kid, he spat on the TV screen when Barry Goldwater was on, that’s how hard core he was.

On his death bed, struggling so desperately to breathe from end-stage emphysema, he couldn’t even talk or barely open his eyes. He was surrounded by his three kids and his nephew. My brother, sister and I were holding his hands and stroking his forehead. He knew we were there for him. He would squeeze our hands when we talked. And as I held his big, working man hand in mine I was amazed at how strong it still looked even though he was so feeble. So, we were telling him how much we loved him and how everything was going to be ok. In that beautiful, soulfull moment, that’s when my older brother, a raging Republican says to my dad – “I promise I’ll take care of things, but I can’t promise you that there will be a Democrat in the White House anytime soon.”

I didn’t even have time to think “What the fuck did he say that for?” The next thing I knew I was on my feet in a Mr. Smith goes to Washington moment vowing to my father “Dad, I promise you there will be a democrat next year. I’ll do everything I can to make sure that happens.”

And you know what my dad did? My dad gasping for air, and just barely squeezing our hands - laughed with pure glee.
I love you dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

yeah man. love your dad. would have loved to have met him. i'm so sorry for your loss.

7:37 AM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Philip Morton said...

boni: leaving a comment.

10:02 AM, September 21, 2005  
Anonymous boni said...

Colleen,
Thanks for your thoughts. He was a good guy. I'll miss him a lot.

11:54 AM, September 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home