Monday, June 06, 2005

Problematic Mendacity

Yeah, sometimes I like big words. Sometimes big words are the right words to use. The other title could have been 'Debatable Untruthfulness.' It would me more likely that more folks would know what I meant.

That's why I used 'Problematic Mendacity.'

The current government is tremendous at this. Phil sent me a link to this column by Jonathan Alter, postulating that, in the current political climate, Nixon would have gotten away with everything during Watergate.

I think he's right. I think the new right went to school on Watergate and learned the following:

1) Don't dispute the facts, dispute the fact-finder. Paint the person, group or organization as unpatriotic.

2) Keep the attention somewhere else. Anywhere else. Keep moving, keep moving. Always have another initiative to drag out for the media. Always have a baby to hold.

3) Buy the media. Or, better yet, have someone who likes you buy it for you. Get bloviating blowhards to declare themselves 'regular Joes' and 'no-spin' commentators, and have them help you with #1, above.

4) Never, ever answer questions. If you get a question you don't like rephrase the question to your liking.

Does it work? Hell yes. What does it say when most folks know the truth of a situation, and just don't care? Don't care that we torture innocents. Don't care that the reason we have thousands of our men and women in a sandy hellhole changes from day to day? Don't care that the President screams about the sanctity of life over embryonic stem-cell research, but doesn't care about the lives of Iraqis.

Problematic Mendacity.

It's the dance craze sweepin' the nation.

Yeharr.

Oh, yeah---That Dude From Philly (a pretty cool guy, even if he is a wingnut) has honored me with an Essential 11 interview. It's up on his site now. Check it out for more information than you'll ever really need to know about me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Thanks for the mention!

2:15 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

My pleasure, sir. It was the truth anyhow...you're part of my daily reading.

Besides, hotchickswithsideburns.com isn't up and running yet.

Yeharr

6:00 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

BTW, just read your post on Melanie's site and what you said was spot on. I agree with you BP.

I grew up in a black area, black friends, black culture so I don't have that blind spot in terms of fear...I suppose my weakness is Turkish people.

But I wouldn't post my ignorance for the whole world to see and then stand there and defend it.

Peace.

4:11 AM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

is this a parallel universe? Just sailed in herer by way of Daniel's site (I also posted on Melanie's site) to see the debate has extended itself here.

Blog stalking?

Spook--y!;-))

7:20 AM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Melanie, that piece of tripe you posted has been dis credited as just that and yet you still stand by your support of it?

2:23 PM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I'm with Red--can't we all just get along?

If you two don't stop it, I'm gonna turn this internet around, put you in opposite corners of cyberspace, and NO ONE gets any ice cream!

Yeharr.

2:31 PM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

BP, I'll leave you with the word complicity and the thought that if you watch someone do a terrible thing do you stand there and watch and pretend nothing has happened or do you raise your hand and say enough is enough?

Peace.

5:03 PM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Shawn said...

Don't despair too much BP... at least one or two people actually notice the strings when the puppets are talking. Ypu're spot onabout the new wave of politicking...

6:46 AM, June 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home