Saturday, November 19, 2005

Cowards Cut And Run

The honorable Jean Schmidt:
Ms. Schmidt: "A few minutes ago I received a call from Colonel Danny Bop, Ohio Representative from the 88th district in the House of Representatives. He asked me to send Congress a message: Stay the course. He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message, that cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

Ms. Schmidt: "Mr. Speaker, my remarks were not directed at any member of the House and I did not intend to suggest that they applied to any member. Most especially the distinguished gentleman from Pennsylvania. I therefore ask for unanimous consent that my words be withdrawn.

- from Crooks and Liars

Translation: "Murtha, you yellow piece of dog crap, and by by "you" I don't mean anyone specifically."

Let Rep. Jean Schmidt know how you feel about personal attacks against a veteran who has served his country on foot, gun in hand, and is one of the biggest supporters in congress of the millitary.

Some of Representative Murtha's incredibly offensive text -

"....I have been visiting our wounded troops at Bethesda and Walter Reed hospitals almost every week since the beginning of the War. And what demoralizes them is going to war with not enough troops and equipment to make the transition to peace; the devastation caused by IEDs; being deployed to Iraq when their homes have been ravaged by hurricanes; being on their second or third deployment and leaving their families behind without a network of support.

"The threat posed by terrorism is real, but we have other threats that cannot be ignored. We must be prepared to face all threats. The future of our military is at risk. Our military and their families are stretched thin. Many say that the Army is broken. Some of our troops are on their third deployment. Recruitment is down, even as our military has lowered its standards. Defense budgets are being cut. Personnel costs are skyrocketing, particularly in health care. Choices will have to be made. We cannot allow promises we have made to our military families in terms of service benefits, in terms of their health care, to be negotiated away. Procurement programs that ensure our military dominance cannot be negotiated away. We must be prepared. The war in Iraq has caused huge shortfalls at our bases in the U.S....."


Let Rep. John Murtha know how you feel about speaking the truth.

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger United We Lay said...

Since I'm now a Pennsylvanian, I immeidately wrote him a letter telling him how much I appreciated his standing up for this. He's a good man!

2:40 PM, November 20, 2005  
Blogger Colleen said...

Although I am not a Pennsylvanian, I did write Murtha a letter today offering my support from Atlanta. I am a Marine's daughter, and have seen my Marine father (who's also a Republican but I still love him) change his mind about this war in the past few months. He was very upset by what Jean Schmidt said, and I have passed her contact information on to him. She'll be receiving a letter after the holiday from him. Mine is on its way now. I don't care if I am not one of their constituents...they need to know how the rest of the country feels about what they are doing...whether we agree or disagree.

3:27 PM, November 20, 2005  
Blogger Cranky Yankee said...

have you heard the latest, the guy she quoted claims he never said that.

2:14 PM, November 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cowards sure do run, I hope someone can stand and improve health care and improve health insurance conditions for all.

1:07 PM, November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home