Sunday, December 11, 2005

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddle Masses, and Let Me Really Screw Them

You all know that's from a poem of course (except the last bit), but do you remember where it's engraved? On the pedastal of the Statue of Liberty, the symbol of welcome and opened armed protection to those in need to come here to America, for care.

The poor from Katrina's devastation continue to suffer, continue to be forgotten, as if the GOP who are controlling the funds are just hoping they will GO AWAY.
"When Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans it was the city's poor - almost exclusively African Americans - who were left to fend for themselves as the city drowned in a lake of toxic sludge. Now, three months on, the same people have been abandoned once again by a reconstruction effort that seems determined to prevent them from returning. They are the victims of a devastating combination of forced evictions, a failure to reopen the city's public house projects, rent gouging and - as in the case of Mildred - a decision to write off whole neighbourhoods."

From the Observer Article.
Problem is, they're people, who are poor, and sick, so they don't evaporate. Of course they tend to vote overwhelmingly Democratic. And I know the GOP are hoping that if you go down their moral values check list, they will find a box entitled IGNORE next to those "in need".

Problem is, if you are the government when you take your pledge, you have a sworn oath to uphold the duties of your office. Last time I checked it didn't include ignoring catastrophic destruction brought to entire cities by natural disasters. That is, unless you're handing out contracts to your corporate buddies for whatever rebuild you deem neccessary and not the locals who need them. They've got that problem covered.

It's unfortunate for the poor that the huddled masses referred to in the poem are from everywhere but here. The poem could have a footnote: "If you start here and you're poor, why don't you just drop dead?" But I'm not sure that rhymes.

But the poor can't get anyone's ear as they can't plunk down the $1000 a dinner plate for a Bush fundraiser.

Footnote: (Poverty has increased in every year of the George Bush administration).

12 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

NYTimes has an editorial on the subject as well:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/opinion/11sun1.html?hp&oref=login

According to the Times, the price tag for rebuilding NO will probably cost more than $32 billion. A lot, but it's only 1.2% of this years' federal spending estimate--and that's only if all the money would be spent this year, which it won't.

Another way to look at it: it's not even 1/3 of the $95 billion in tax cuts passed last week by the HoR.

Yep, let New Orleans die, cut welfare, but make sure all the rich get to keep their money.

I agree with the historians. Worst. President. Ever.

Yeharr

4:36 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I looked at Us poverty stats recently whilst battling it out with some GOD BLESS AMERICA types and it stands at some 37 million people with 12 million kids in poverty.

Jesus wept.

5:57 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I teach American History. I know more information about each President than I could even need to know. He is, without a doubt, the WORST PRESIDENT EVER. We will be recovering from /this for the next 50 years or more.

6:19 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger Phil said...

Off the radar. Because no money comes to them from the poor for campaigns, because they know the American public has a short memory, because their own greed and lust for power requires them to adhere to a model of success they've seen work with Bush. Thing of it is - the model is failing, like the dot.com bust, and they're too fearful or pigheaded to realize it. As most of them are not leaders, but followers, the idea of jumping ship and leading on their own is an alien concept. So best to hang on to the tail coats wherever they will take them - I believe Bush will take them all straight down. Democrats need run on one concept: "Promise to America: a government that works."

10:42 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger United We Lay said...

My husband is really pushing for us to leave the country because of this adminstration. He's afraid of the ramifications it will have for our children, and the kinds of people they will be in contact with as they grow up. I don't like what I see in the young kids here, and I'm not sure I would really want my kids to be like that. How do you raise a child in this country and raise them well? Is it even possible anymore? The government lies, the education is failing, and the health care is no existant. What are we to do?

6:28 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Steff said...

I'm leaving for New York Friday and I can honestly say that certain landmarks will take on a new meaning for me as I reflect on all the things that are important to me. I'll also pull on some of the meaty chunks of opinions that I find on here. It should make for a wonderful interesting trip!

8:02 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Phil said...

polanco: nothing personal, but I'm tired of hearing liberals say they want to leave the country, while the extreme conservatives who I chate with (and often dislike at cocktail parties) are always talking about staying and fighting. Well, guess what - they stayed and fought and suddenly won. Now they're in charge. We need our side to be that entrenched, that fierce, that single minded about our beliefs and fight to win our country back. For me, there is no other country to go to that is as great is ours. I'm a liberal patriot. I"m staying and fighting. I'm sure it was hellish during the McCarthy years, but if all the liberals had up and moved in the fifites, who would have aligned Aquarius with Mars in the sixties?

2:53 PM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

PC: Worse than Hoover?

4:21 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Philip,
I undertsand what you mean and it annoys me, too. My husband and I argue about this a lot. He doesn't see the liberal movement making any headway and it makes it difficult to think about raising kids here. I have been involved in the military, in political movements, and in improving education. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get anywhere. I'm tired and frustrated, and so is my husband. What do you suggest I do to fight? And why aren't the liberals joining together like the conservatives did so that we can strengthen our position? I would love it if I felt like I was actually doing something, but I am tired and losing my drive because I don't feel like there's anyone behind me.

Daniel,
Yes, even worse than Hoover.

6:37 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Philip<
Also, I forgot to ask, how are you fighting? What more can we do?

6:38 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Phil said...

PC: Well, I know you want the depth charge that has dramatic results and turns the tide in ways we can all see, I do too. But until then everything you do has impact, writing here, teaching there, everywhere you lend your voice, the petitions of MoveOn, the over 100,000 emails and calls to Murtha's office after his anti-war speech, the GOP having to scuttle social security reform, Schwarzenneger losing his initiatives out here, two Dem Govs. elected this year, Santorum down in the polls by over half to that of his challenger and ditching Bush when he visited his home state, Paul Hackett the Iraqi vet running in Ohio, DeLay indicted, Texas redistricting now being reviewed by the supreme court (without O'Conner sadly), Rove on the chopping block for indictment, the GOP is running in a bubble that is mirrored on the inside where they think they're heaven sent, they are in store for a rude awakening as they are out of touch with as much as 70% of this country. Keep the faith, we're on a journey of miles and have to go step by step. Everything you do has impact. Everything you do is needed.

8:22 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Sometimes I think Jesus had the right idea. In order to really exact change, you have to sacrifice everything. That's the real lesson.

6:50 PM, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home